Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Penguins, Dancing, and Watson Fellowships

Penguins and dancing have almost nothing in common, except that they are both in this post. Watson fellowships, however, could be incorporated into either of those things, hence their beauty.

Scientists discovered a breed of penguins that were thought to have vanished 500 years ago.
I wish scientists would make a similar discovery with weird fish. My favorite part of A Journey to the Center of the Earth is when they find all the prehistoric fish with no eyes, and monstery features. Too bad there's not actually a giant cavern full of fish somewhere.

This is the dance that won for West Coast Classic at 2008's SwingDiego.
If I could dance like this just once in my life, I would be content with all dancing. My favorite part happens at 50 seconds, when the follow slides on her knees with a bit of whiplash help from her lead. This move might be feasible for Social Dance Club. Hmmm...

This is the coolest use of a Watson Fellowship ever.
I met someone yesterday who was nominated for a Watson, which prompted me to read through last year's recipients and their proposed projects. I want to meet this man. I want to do his project. I suppose it might be old hat if I proposed the same thing in a couple years, huh?

1 comment:

kimber said...

That Watson Fellowship does sound pretty awesome. My personal favorite from this year would probably be the person traveling all over and learning about different views on whaling. Whaling is such a complicated and fascinating subject to me. Plus it has to do with the ocean, which of course will draw me...